YOU WANT a better mood, and you probably have your own reasons. But there may be other sound reasons to pursue this worthy purpose that you haven't thought about before. So here are what I believe to be the seven best reasons to put in the effort to improve your mood:
1. Good moods are good for your heart. A good mood is the antithesis of stress. And frequent stress is hard on the heart. An optimistic outlook and a good attitude are positively good for the health of your heart — not just metaphorically, but physically. Read more about that.
2. Good moods improve your relationships. It is easier and more enjoyable to converse with, hug, take a trip with, or anything else with someone in a good mood. It's easier to work out problems with someone in a good mood. One good way to improve a relationship is to improve your mood.
3. Your good moods help others become happier. Far from being a selfish pursuit, raising your own mood is one of the best things you can do for others, as this study shows.
4. Good moods make you more creative. Before they were given the problem to solve, students were first put in either a bad mood or a good mood. Afterwards, 20% of the students in a bad mood successfully solved the problem. But 75% of the students in a good mood were able to do it. Read more about this study. Good moods help you cope with difficult situations and improve your ability to solve problems, which improves your mood, creating an upward spiral (which is what the picture depicts).
5. Good moods make your immune system more vigorous. When you're in a good mood, your T-cells and NK-cells are more effective at killing off invaders and stopping the proliferation of cancer cells. Read about a good mood's impact on your immune system. And bad moods are bad for your immune system.
6. Good moods help you live longer. Having a good attitude and being in a good mood can add over seven years to your life according to this study.
7. Good moods feel good. Let's not forget about this one! Bad moods feel bad and good moods feel great.